Local servers for data storage, management, and processing are being phased out. Some organizations may still have a few servers as a backup, but cloud computing is the technology of the future aimed at changing the way of running businesses. Through cloud computing, data is managed and processed in a distributed network of servers.
Cloud computing is becoming popular because it enhances the efficiency and effectiveness of business operations. It offers many advantages to businesses. Here is a list of ten important ones.
Benefits of Cloud Computing for Businesses
1. Improved security
· One of the critical aspects of data storage and management in businesses is protecting the data. With cloud computing, data is protected against unauthorized access, hacking, and theft. Cloud computing service providers must comply with stringent security measures to safeguard the integrity of users’ data.
· Security is enhanced through firewall technology to monitor traffic and block or permit data based on specific security rules. A firewall is aimed at establishing a barrier between data coming from external sources and the internal network. As such, it can block hackers and virus attacks. Any threats are detected before they attack your server.
· According to a big data and cloud computing, businesses are relying on applications to manage their operations. This makes it inevitable for them to minimize the possibility of a downturn. If a server fails, the business can be brought to a standstill and this can lead to huge losses as time is taken to restore the systems.
· Cloud computing reduces the possibility of server failure. Cloud is designed to deliver consistent performance throughout. The technology operates in such a way that in case of an issue, cloud clients can be quickly migrated to a clustered server. The technology’s hyper-converged design prevents the possibility of the entire system and hard disk failure, thus ensuring that important applications are available at all times.
· Adoption of technology should enable organizations to reduce operational costs and get a good return on investment. 82% of businesses that move to cloud technology report that they save money, resulting in improved efficiency. For growing businesses, the acquisition of computer hardware can be capital-intensive. With cloud technology, instead of acquiring your hardware, you leave this entirely to the host.
· Cloud computing can lead to a reduction in labor and systems maintenance costs because computer facilities are owned by vendors. Server maintenance is the full responsibility of the vendor.
· Eliminating the need for systems maintenance can give the IT staff time to focus on business development and other initiatives. Additionally, with cloud technology, you don’t have to pay for power space, insurance, air conditioning, and power.
4. Enhances collaborations
· Work collaborations can be challenging, especially when employees are from different locations or departments. Cloud technology enhances the ease of access to data that is needed to complete tasks. Cloud collaboration tools improve employee productivity and efficiency.
· Cloud computing empowers employees to interact with each other freely and effectively, thereby enhancing team communication. The applications adopted also promote innovation because ideas can be exchanged easily.
· The technology’s power lies in its ability to enable people to work together on various data types and documents simultaneously. Cloud collaboration applications include accessibility and communication tools to limit people who can read and edit a document.
5. Improved speed
· The speed of operations is vital for business growth. Cloud service providers should stay competitive by constantly updating technology to adapt to customer demands. Cloud computing provides high-performance servers with fast SSD drives and powerful CPUs.
· The technology uses load balancing to route user requests to improve speed and capacity usage. Thus, when servers are fully engaged, the load is distributed to ensure that no server’s performance is affected.
· With multiple servers, cloud providers can ensure optimal utilization and better performance of those servers. Cloud providers offer multiple instance types to support user workloads. They can choose an instance type to meet the workload demands, whether it is memory sensitive, compute-intensive, or needs high-speed graphics.
6. Greater flexibility
· Cloud computing offers greater work flexibility. Since it is internet-based, employees can access files wherever they are, allowing them to work in the office or remotely. Businesses are using cloud technology to give employees flexible working conditions, including Flexi times.
· The technology serves to reduce office space and costs by enabling employees to work from remote locations. The Hot-desk system can be adopted on the day’s employees are required to come to the office.
· Employees can access systems via web-enabled devices such as laptops and smartphones and collaborate in real-time using online conferencing. Many businesses are requiring their employees to bring their devices that are backed up using logical access authentication procedures to enhance security.
7. Businesses can go green
· Adopting cloud computing technology means that you don’t have to own a data center and the supporting space. This may help to reduce carbon footprint greatly. Additionally, you don’t have to power or condition the servers because you don’t own them. Server capacity is distributed among many businesses and resources allocated to minimize idle time. Utilizing fewer machines means that less energy is wasted.
· In addition to offloading the carbon footprint is because your cloud provider may enjoy economies of scale, which may allow them to use energy efficiently. Thus, cloud computing minimizes the environmental impact. To make the best of eco-friendliness, ensure that your service provider has put in place Green IT policies.
8. Competitive advantage
· Businesses are striving to outperform competitors and achieve superior margins in their industry. The applications needed to support cloud computing are readily available and this can give you a strategic competitive advantage over your rivals who have not adopted the technology.
· Competitive advantage from cloud computing is attained in areas such as improved customer relationships powered by big data analytics. It is also attained through decision support systems, better decision-making, and business collaborations.
· Big data analytics capabilities in cloud systems can create a competitive advantage through access to affordable and complex software for small businesses. Decision information sharing enhances value through decision analysis, speed, and accuracy.
9. Loss prevention
· If your business has not adopted a cloud-computing solution, all the valuable data and information is tied to office computers. In case your computer hardware develops some problems, you may lose valuable data permanently. Computers can fail due to obsolescence, errors, or virus attacks. In worse situations, they can be stolen.
· With cloud computing, since you don’t own computers or respective data centers, your data and information can be protected against possible loss. All the information in the cloud is safe and can be accessed from any remote location as long as there is an internet connection.
10. Cloud technology is future-oriented
· Small and medium scale enterprises can adopt cloud computing conveniently because they don’t have to own data centers. With the improvement of the internet of things, the volume of big data needed by businesses is expected to increase tremendously.
· Big data analytics offers important information for business development. Businesses that can collect and process large volumes of data are the ones to benefit more from cloud technology because this technology is a great option for dealing with a large volume of data. Applications can easily be deployed to facilitate big data collection and processing.
· Cloud computing leads to personalization, a trend you need to look out for in the market. There is a possibility of designing infrastructure and software tailored to specific companies. Thus may be important in multi-cloud systems and hybrid cloud.
Businesses should embrace cloud computing technology because it offers many advantages. It enhances security, reliability, saves money, promotes collaborations, and improves the speed of operations. It also leads to greater flexibility, is eco-friendly, promotes strategic competitive advantage, prevents losses, and is future-oriented.