Like Amazon, eBay offers sellers an incredible opportunity to feature their products in front of their target customers. However, product upload isn’t going to be enough. You must constantly optimize your product listings to reach the top search results.
Instead of treating eBay like a marketplace, think of it as a search engine. eBay’s search engine algorithm (Cassini) uses advanced algorithms to rank product listings and place them in front of your customers. Therefore, the more time you invest in optimizing your listings, the greater the chances of sales, visibility, and rankings.
Here’s a list of the best eBay listing optimization tips to help you amplify your eCommerce game and stay ahead in 2022. Take a look.
eBay Listing Optimization: Tips For Better Sales
1. Create Engaging And Meaningful Product Titles
Product title plays a crucial role in elevating rankings and performance on eBay. When customers search for a particular product, they come across several product listings. The first thing that will catch their attention is the title. They will only click on the listing to learn more about the product if they find the title useful, informative, and interesting.
Your job is to persuade them by providing a precise yet informative product title. A good title must be:
- Short and precise: Keep it short – within 80 characters – without missing essential details.
- Informative: Include relevant details about the product, including brand name, color, size, quantity, material, model number, etc.
- Keyword-focused: Consider adding a long-tail keyword that describes your product and helps you attain better rankings. Since the title is limited to 80 characters, you can use the most relevant keyword here.
Here’s an example of a well-written and meaningful product title:
2. Create An Accurate and Detailed Product Description
Once a customer clicks on your listing, they want to know every possible detail about the product before adding it to the cart. Therefore, you must provide them with a detailed product overview, including its features, uses, benefits, and other relevant details.
A good product description must include:
- High Volume Keywords: To attain better rankings on Cassini, you must incorporate relevant, high-volume keywords into the description. Use this space to target product-related keywords. You can include up to 3-4 keywords in the description. But, again, ensure proper placement to avoid changing the context.
- Features: Highlight the product’s unique selling points and features to help customers make the right buying decision.
- Benefits: Mention how the product will benefit the customers or solve their problems. For instance, if you are selling a vacuum cleaner, you can mention how it can help them take the dust off corners or edges.
- Additional Details: Include shipping/handling costs, warranty/guarantee, washing instructions, or delivery charges – if applicable.
In addition to this, make sure your description is readable and easily understandable. Try using simple language and a natural tone to keep customers engaged.
3. Conduct Proper Keyword Research
Yet another most significant eBay listing optimization is keyword insertion. However, before you insert keywords in your listings, it is important to find the right ones. You can use a trusted SEO tool to search for relevant key phrases (long and short-tail keywords) or conduct manual research to find highly competitive keywords.
Once you have prepared a list of appropriate keywords, incorporate them into different parts of your listing, including title, subtitle, and description. Avoid stuffing the keywords into the listing copy, as it might hamper user engagement and rankings.
4. Use High-Quality and Attractive Product Images
Online shopping relies on product images, which is why you must use professional, attractive, and realistic images in your product listings.
When customers visit your product detail page, they look at the description and images simultaneously before making any decision. If the product images don’t match the description or vice versa, customers might immediately abandon the purchase.
Since customers cannot touch or feel the product online, you must provide them with high-end product images to get a closer, clearer look. Here are some of the best practices for eBay listing image optimization:
- Upload up to 12 images (maximum 7MB each)
- Include at least 4-5 good-quality pictures
- Capture images from diverse angles for a detailed view of the product
- Provide photos of the accessories (that come along) and ingredients or user manual (if applicable)
- Use realistic, attractive, and well-lit images
- Use the latest version of Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari
- Create appropriate alt tags so that search engines can quickly locate you
To make the most of your product images, consider leveraging assistance from expert editors. They employ varied techniques such as background removal, color correction, cropping/resizing, ghost mannequin, etc., to enhance and retouch your images.
5. Optimize Your Seller Bio
To make the most of your optimization efforts, you must ensure your seller bio is well-optimized.
An incomplete or irrelevant bio might negatively impact customers and leave them confused. On the other hand, a well-written, engaging and useful bio gives customers an idea of your brand and the reason(s) to buy from you. Also, Cassini scans the seller’s bio; therefore, you must optimize it well for effective results.
Here are a few tips to consider while writing your bio:
- Use simple, persuasive language
- Tell your brand’s story
- Give buyers a reason to shop from you
- Include relevant keywords without overstuffing
Think of your seller bio as an added opportunity to inform shoppers about your brand and how it differs from others.
6. Offer Additional Perks for Better User Experience
Prioritizing your customers is the key to a successful business. Customers satisfied with your products and services might leave positive reviews or feedback. This, in turn, enhances your brand value and boosts your SEO.
You can elevate the buyer’s experience by implementing some techniques in your listings. Here are the most effective ones:
- Easy returns
- Free shipping
- Fast or express delivery (on certain products)
- Offers, discounts, and promotions
- 24*7 customer support
- Competitive pricing
Once you optimize your listings for a better buyer experience, you get steps closer to increased rankings, sales, and conversions.
Additional Tips to Optimize Your eBay Product Listings
Since eBay is a host to thousands of sellers, you must adopt and implement every possible knack to beat the competition. Here are some bonus eBay listing optimization tips:
- Choose the right product category
- Make your listings accessible
- Fill out every detail, including unique product identifiers
- Promote your listings
- Build your eBay store
- Conduct regular listing audits
Start Optimizing Your eBay Listings Today
It’s your turn to gain an edge in the highly competitive eBay marketplace. Improve and optimize your listings to drive visibility and traffic. Implement effective techniques to help eBay’s search engine find and place you higher than your competitors. Analyze your existing listing and optimize them accordingly. If creating a new listing, ensure you integrate and consider all the crucial factors for desired outcomes.
Before you start, you can ask a reputed eBay listing provider to conduct a listing health check-up or simply examine your competitor’s listings and shoot appropriately.