What is Navision ERP
Microsoft Dynamics NAV is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) app from Microsoft. The product is part of the Microsoft Dynamics family, and intended to assist with finance, manufacturing, customer relationship management, supply chains, analytics and electronic commerce for small and medium-sized companies and local subsidiaries of large international groups. For modifications of the system, the proprietary programming language C/AL is used. Navision originated at PC&C A/S (Personal Computing and Consulting), a company founded in Denmark in 1984. The Microsoft Dynamics NAV software is consist of Database Server, Application Server and clients like Windows client, SharePoint client, Web client, in 2016 NAV provides Phone Client and Tablet Client.
Navision Acquisition to Microsoft in $1.4 Billion
On July 11, 2002 Microsoft Corp. announced that it has acquired Navision ERP. Microsoft expects to purchase Navision’s shares for approximately $1.45 billion (U.S.)/1.48 billion euros/10.97 billion Danish krones in stock and cash. It’s the second big ERP purchase for Microsoft – the last being that of Navision competitor Great Plains in 2001.
Because of the obtaining, initially declared May 7, 2002, Navision will turn out to be a part of Microsoft Business Solutions. Microsoft Business Solutions is driven by Doug Burgum, senior VP of Microsoft and previous administrator and CEO of Great Plains. Navision co-CEOs Jesper Balser and Preben Damgaard will stay with Microsoft Business Solutions. Balser will move toward becoming executive of worldwide methodology, and Damgaard will move toward becoming chief of Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) activities. The EMEA activities will be based out of Navision’s corporate base camp in Vedbaek, Denmark.
“Joining the organizations of Navision, a midmarket pioneer in Europe, and Microsoft Great Plains to make Microsoft Business Solutions will create brilliant business open doors for our accomplices and an exceptional cluster of answers for our clients,” Burgum said. “Together, we have the general population, items and advances to enliven Microsoft’s central goal of empowering individuals and organizations around the world to understand their maximum capacity.”
Microsoft Business Solutions will keep on creating, market and bolster Navision’s business applications. These applications — Microsoft Navision Axapta, Microsoft Navision Attain, Microsoft Navision C5 and Microsoft Navision XAL.
Later, as Microsoft Business Solutions found they had 4 ERP solutions: Navision, Axapta, Solomon and Great Plains, they decided to merge the brand and now call the solutions Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Microsoft Dynamics AX, Microsoft Dynamics SL and Microsoft Dynamics GP respectively.
Navision’s name will be changed to Dynamics 365 Business Central
On April 2nd, 2018 Microsoft formally released their latest Dynamics 365 ERP product, Business Central. While new in name, Business Central runs on the same code base as Dynamics NAV. The Software as a Service (SaaS) version of business central is available immediately, the on-premises/hosted version will be released in the Fall of 2018. Beginning in the Fall all future versions of NAV will be called Business Central.
Windows based Navision versions:
- Navision Financials 1.00: 1.00, 1.00A, 1.00B, 1.10, 1.10A, 1.20, 1.30
- Navision Financials 2.00: 2.00, 2.00A, 2.00B, 2.00C, 2.01, 2.01A, 2.01B
- Navision Financials 2.50: 2.50
- Navision Financials 2.60: 2.60, 2.60A, 2.60B, 2.60C, 2.60D, 2.60E
- Navision Financials 2.65: Introducing the NAS (Navision Application Server)
- Navision Solutions 3.00: 3.00
- Navision Attain 3.01: 3.01, 3.01A, 3.01B
- Navision Attain 3.10: 3.10, 3.10A, 3.10B
- Navision Attain 3.60: 3.60, 3.60A
- Microsoft Business Solutions Navision 3.70: 3.70, 3.70A, 3.70B
- Microsoft Business Solutions NAV 4.00: 4.00, 4.00 SP1, 4.00 SP2, 4.00 SP3
- Dynamics NAV 5.00: 5.00, 5.00 SP1
- Dynamics NAV 2009: (“6.00”) 2009, 2009 SP1, 2009 R2
- Dynamics NAV 2013: (“7.00”) 2013, (“7.1”) 2013 R2
- Dynamics NAV 2015: (“8.00”) 2015
- Dynamics NAV 2016: (“9.00”) 2016
- Dynamics NAV 2017: (“10.00”) 2017
- Dynamics NAV 2018: (“11.00”) 2018
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Features
Microsoft Dynamics NAV provides features including financials, reporting, supply chain management, service management, and more such as:
- Business Intelligence & Analytics
- Warehouse Management
- Financial Management
- Mobile Sales
- Mobile Service
- Advanced Forecasting
- Inventory Management
- Project & Jobs Management
- Service Management
- Human Resource & Payroll
- Sales & Marketing
- Point of Sale
Latest posts by Micah Phillips (see all)
- Top 5 Ways to Increase Sales by Using Social Media - September 12, 2019
- How to Choose Top iOS App Development Tools – IDE, SDK 2019 - September 11, 2019
- An Overview to Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operation - August 23, 2019